23 March 2017

Southern Girls Challenge - is this an easy challenge or not - just use a die cut

Hello, its time for another challenge with the Southern Girls. And it's a real easy one you just use need to use a die cut on your card.


I also managed to squeeze in my first play with some Distress Oxide inks (see the balloons) but I only had 3 colours to work with as they had sold out of the pretty colours.

Even so if you look especially at the blown up pink balloon you can see we have some reaction/oxidation going on!


This card evolved from the original concept in my mind as I wanted to use my very newly purchased Distress Oxide inks to make the background but they were too strong a colour. So I went back to my original Distress inks to make the background.

Below is my very first play on a scrap piece of watercolour paper. I smooched the ink pads onto an old plastic bag which was sitting in my rubbish bin then spritzed with water; then smooched & scrunched each colour onto the watercolour paper, drying each colour with my heat gun. You certainly could layer up more colour. I stamped the balloons  with Versafine black ink & then clear embossed.  You can also see the whoopsie if your water colour paper is not completely dry below you get a puddle of clear embossed powder ☹


But back to the challenge & not the wonders of Distress Oxide one of our fab sponsors is Krafters Cart which is a new addition to the NZ market. I discovered them at SENZ 2016 & was delighted that a local company was bringing in the brands I love such as Altenew, My Favorite Things, Avery Elle, Gerda Steiner & Whimsy Designs to name just a few. I've personally done bigger orders to the States in the past to justify the shipping costs which always seem horrific. Now I don't have to worry about that so I can budget my shopping more carefully, just getting one or two items at a time especially as Meetu from Krafters Cart often has free shipping on stamps & dies.

I think the rest of the card is pretty self explanatory so the full recipe is below starting off with the DIE CUTS instead of the stamps as we're all about the die cut this challenge. To be honest I often won't buy a stamp set if it doesn't have a die as I don't enjoy fussy cutting.

Recipe:
Dies (all MFT): BB Adorable Elephants, Wonky Stitched Rectangles, Stitched Sentiment Strips
Stamp set: BB Adorable Elephants (MFT)
Paper: Watercolour, Soft Sky (SU!), Sunkissed DSP (Prima - very OLD)
Distress Inks: Twisted Citron, Dried Marigold, Tumbled Glass
Distress Oxides: Fired Brick, Peeled Paint, Iced Spruce
Zig Real Colour brushes: Pale pink, green gray, light grey
Other: Watercolour brushes, Versafine Black ink, clear embossing powder, dimensionals, MISTI, various sequins (also bought at SENZ 2016), heat gun.

So I hope you can join in on the just use a die-cut challenge (see the SG Challenge site for the rules, which are very minimal) and as always we have TWO amazing sponsors for this challenge, so there's goodies to be won too. Winners are drawn randomly, so nothing to lose.



Our awesome sponsors for this challenge are....


KennyK Stamps FREEBIE blinkie





❀ Karen ❀


6 comments:

  1. I just LOVE this card Karen! I am well jel' that you've already managed to get some Distress Oxides too! I've had my eye on this lately. They do look such fun! Your Distress Ink background is soft and gorgeous and suits so well your card design. I love the little detail of the three colour matched sequins up the side! That lil' ellie is adorable, utterly adorable. I'm trying to remain strong and not add everything to my shopping basket lately, I've so much stash!!! But they really are SO cute!!! Love the wonky stitched border too. A truly gorgeous creation hun. So loving having you on the team! Your inspiring creations and lovely comments. Big hugs, Wends xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww what a cutie. Love those wee elephants but your background is just so pretty. Love it. Karen xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling card! Your background looks fantastic and elephant is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh Karen, love the perks of how your gorgeous card evolved, such great die cuts too, I'd forgotten about having those dies you used for your sentiment , I need to dust them off and get using them, I'd forgotten just how fab they look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looove your little scene so Adorable and love your background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No that is a clever idea with the balloons and such an Adorable card too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen