29 March 2020

Using A4 (metric) card stock to make a gatefold card


I'm not sure if I'm the only person in the world that wishes our card stock was just plain inches, it would make cutting and scoring a lot easier.
Anyhow I shared a cool gatefold card that a friend taught me the other day using the Geared Up to Celebrate stamp set & I thought I would share the cutting dimensions as going metric isn't that easy.

So to get started take a piece of A5 card stock (21 cm x 14.85cm). I find the easiest way to do the half measurements is go to the bigger number then bring it back a teeny bit.

Score in from each end at 5.25cm mark. I just used my paper trimmer that has a scoring blade as an attachment otherwise the Stampin' Up! metric scoring plate has a grove at 5.25cm.

Other cutting dimesions for card above two pieces of 14.35 x 4.75cm (card stock) and 2 pieces of 13.85 x 4.25cm (DSP)

I used the largest layering oval framelit for the biggest oval, I then used 2 ovals smaller to make the hold in it as I wanted it to be sturdy. Then I could have used 1 oval smaller but I used the 2nd largest Stitched Shapes Oval as I wanted the stitched details.

I've used On To Adventure  stamp set for the cute wee golfer (149334) which goes nicely with the very cool Country Club DSP in our current mini catalogue, as well as cool golf-themed papers there are some lovely plaids etc for masculine cards. The only other trick is when gluing down the oval enclosure is to only glue half the oval, attach the largest oval ring first.
  • All my bits & bobs to start constructing. 

  • I've flipped over my oval ring so you can see I have only attached the Tombow mono glue to one half of the oval.

  •  It's a good tip to have the silicone craft mat under your work surface so it doesn't get sticky.

  • This is what it looks like open at this stage. 

  • I added the glue to the RHS half stamped image which is attached to the Crushed Curry oval. I found it easier to close the card down & pop the oval straight through the hole to line it all up.

  •  Again just an image to show you what it looks like from inside at the moment.

  • The completed card I have added a scrap of the plaid DSP underneath the white mat for the inner.


The colours in the DSP are Night of Navy, Garden Green, Crushed Curry, Poppy Parade (& Whisper white). I also saw on a You Tube video a good tip for making a wee closure if you want something to close which is using an embossing buddy on a mini glue dot, it's not really necessary for this card as it is actually a really snug closure.

Well I sincerely hope everyone is safe & locked down. I have tidies up most of my crafting room & it's a much nicer space to play in :)

Inky hugs
✿ Karen ✿

1 comment:

  1. Love the clear instructions and metric measurements. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen