21 April 2020

Colouring using alcohol markers

Hi all if you've been following my blog for awhile you'll know I fell in love with colouring using Copics markers. I certainly am no master of my Copic colouring as like all things you need to practice but it certainly makes colouring really easy.

Well one of the things I LOVE, LOVE about Stampin' Up! is that everything co-ordinates & matches & I really LOVE that. So coming back it's hard that they have alcohol markers now which truly do co-ordinate with their colours VS me and my 230+ Copic markers I own. Copics are not cheap and for myself I have invested a lot of money in building up my stash slowly over the years. So I have been colouring up my SU! images with my Copics using Memento ink (which is alcohol proof) and using thick Whisper White (or Very Vanilla) card stock.

I started yesterday having a really good play with the Ornate Garden bundle which has 2 stamp sets, 2 dies, gilded gems, ribbon & the most beautiful DSP in the world, like all cards you have an idea in your head and it evolves as you start putting the card together. I'll reveal the card later in the week as I want to post them to people, so I'll wait a few days after posting to reveal it.

Anyhow I was truly thankful to find this fab blog Joyful Creations with Kim when I returned to SU! as she has charts that you can download & make your colour swatch showing close matches of Copics to SU! colours.


It's been a great resource to me but as you can see I have gaps (surprisingly quite a lot). So then I pull out my trusty Hex Chart I purchased from Sandy Allnock & try & work out what is closest to the missing colour Kim has suggested. I actually think Sandy's hex chart is an essential for anyone that wants to get into Copic colouring.


So to cut a long story short I wanted to colour in the daisies from the Ornate Style stamp set and I am also working with the matching DSP whose colours include Mint Macaroon, Petal Pink, a new in-colour coming called Beehive (cheery yellow) and Early Espresso.

So these are the colours I chose with the help of Kim & Sandy's charts. Interesting I coloured using Early Espresso ink (which is not alcohol proof) with no bleeding of the ink color on thin Very Vanilla card stock. To prevent too much alcohol movement of colour I only did a very light colouring once (normally I go over the coloring at least twice to build up colour & the shading) but I didn't want to risk it all becoming a big mess & I'm happy that my daisies look pretty.


Now my next dilemma is I "earned" the Rococo Rose stampin' blend markers in Sale-a-bration for free & the "real deal" looks prettier than the suggestion from Kim. I think I can hear my bank account groaning! I also saw a great tip that if you have similar Stampin' Blends you wrap different Washi tapes around each set, so this set has a pineapple washi tape wrapped around it & if I buy another pinkish set they'll get another Washi tape wrapped around them.


It's a grey gloomy day in Auckland so its a WIP day (working in pajama day). Hope you're all keeping safe, well & warm wherever you are.

✿ Karen ✿

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen