30 March 2023

Is Tasnim the new Queen of Fussy Cussing???

Firstly let me say how much I LOVED my Altenew card classes at my #SCTbigboxevent but I sincerely hope Altenew brings out a die to cut out the lily from the Bold Boutique stamp set and 3D embossing folder if they release this set. I'm sure there will be 2900 stampers wanting one. 2900 is the number of people attending this virtual event from around the world.

At the last event I took part in, Vicki Boutin had us cutting out so many images and I heard the saying fussy cutting is fussy cussing for the first time and it sounds like she is infamous for making you do it in her classes. 

VB was not one of our tutors this time but Tasnim Ahmed one of the co-founders and designers for Altenew was and even though the lily is biggish it is very detailed, especially when just an embossed image on white card stock but it was worth the extra effort these are fabulous cards and I love them all.

These were the fab class supplies we received:

And the sneak peek of Tasnim's cards:
As always we have to work with our own inks for each class (everything else is provided), the first card we embossed a panel using the 3D embossing folder and then using the four piece stencil blended colour through the stencils. 

Colours I used were Puffy Heart (ALT) and Apricot (CP) for the lily. Apricot and Ginger (CP) for the roses. Fresh Pear (PFS) and Pear Pizzazz (SU!) for the leaves, these 2 colours worked really well together as a blend. We have used a gold Signo gel pen to highlight the stamens.

The second card was interesting and no way was I cutting the lily out but I didn't mask off the stencil on the RHS and had a blue line, which is why I have done a watercolour wash, so thought if I popped up the lily I might distract from my bad watercolour washing which I did in a rush as trying to keep up with the live lesson on screen. 

We had actually decided beforehand we were going to go rogue and have lilac/violet roses until we saw the class and realised we were using the teal blue ink on the leaves as well, so back to blues. I have no idea what colours we used but they came from my Pinkfresh stash. I can see one of the greens used is Grassy Knoll looking at the image and I think one of the blues maybe Blue Jay. Glitter drops are PFS Lagoon. The sentiment comes from a SU! retired set as I needed a card for an colleague that is retiring.

This is what the card looks like as a monolayer:

And it makes a huge difference IMO adding the cut-out lily. Tasnim said she only did it as she got ink on her "white space" and had to cover it up. Good mistake to make a great card FABULOUS.

The last card didn't work out on the day, so I actually made it last night and it is actually my favourite of the three. We had to die cut out a lily (AGAIN) and it was actually really hard without a stamped line.

Swipe "cream" ink on the raised portion of the lily on the embossing folder, place die cut in the debossed area and run though your embossing machine. 

Tasnim was using Altenew pigment inks which are the same colour as their dye inks but to me look chalkier like distress oxides. We never tried doing the lily on Sunday as we weren't happy with our go trying Candied Apple distress oxide on a pink card stock. 

I think we were both too hasty to say it hadn't worked, we just needed to let it dry. The test piece from Sunday was the wee strip on the RHS and it looks fab now. The one on the LHS I added shims when embossing last night trying to get a deeper impression, it looks good but too dark for my liking. Next try and oops I have lines so not smooth enough with my swooshing. Fourth time I think I got it, i.e. that's the one on the card :)


I ended up using Sweet Sorbet (SU!) on Blushing Bride cardstock for background and Shortbread (CTMH) ink for the lily. It's not as pretty as Tasnim's example above but it looks magnificent IRL. I have used a word from a set we got in our Spellbinders class kit along with their sequins which were creamy but also opalescent. I have made a wee mat of Blushing Bride using my Waffle Flowers A2 layering and more layers dies.


Isn't is just heavenly. I'll be trying this technique out on other big 3D flower embossing folders I have bought from Altenew.

✿ Karen ✿

#cropandcreatedelivered #SCTbigboxevent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen