23 June 2024

AAA Card Challenge 268: Sketch Challenge

Gosh this was another AAA Card Challenge that challenged me. Maaike had gotten in early and used the silhouette flowers ideas.




So whilst thinking of another idea I thought of having a go at making some bubbles. This is just one way I have seen them made on the internet. In a nutshell blend a very small amount of ink through a circle stencil in 4 light colours (yellow, pink, blue/purple and a green). Then you add highlight with white gel pen/posca pen and darken the edges with a pencil. So my first problem was limited range of pencils and it does make a difference, so inks were chosen to work with the pencils I owned. 

I made my circle stencil/mask with dies and some masking paper. I also used my new tiny blending foams from Ranger and I wasn't overly rapt with them but will try on another project. I probably should have used distress inks as have more blending options for them but I think the emphasis is on really light blending to try and make your bubbles translucent, so most of the ink you pick up gets tapped into the paper towel. My last bubble is a tad dark and I probably needed to create another circle mask as the one I was using had picked up too much ink which transferred then to last bubble. 


Overall I'm pretty happy with the final result for my first go, the sentiment comes from Lawn Fawn's Bubbles of Joy which seemed pretty appropriate. I have used one of the new in-colours from Stampin' Up! called Petunia Pop as it seemed to be a good match for my bubbles.


A few days before the blog post goes live and I'm still unhappy with my original card and decided to have another go this time adding a wee mouse from the Bubbles of Joy set and using Lawn Fawn's Bubble stencil and trying again with Distress Watercolor Pencils as I have been playing with them a bit lately. I'm happier this time, probably because the mouse looks cute!, plus the bubbles seem to have more life in them too.


I've used the Distress pencils on the stencil colouring in the outside with a line and then pulling the colour in with a barely wet brush. I saw Emily Midgett demoing and she wiped her brush on a damp stamping shammy and it is great for controlling the water on your brush - it really is a great tip! 

I used my Zig brush markers to colour in the wee mouse and this time I used Bubble Bath card stock from SU! for my card base.



Well I hope you can join in with us, as always you have 2 weeks to have a go, do check out the fab inspiration from the DT at AAA Cards and if you are stuck, have a go at making some bubbles ;)

I'll also play along with Addicted to CAS's Critter Challenge as I think the wee mouse is the cutest and s/he is having so much fun blowing bubbles.


✿Karen✿

2 comments:

  1. love both renditions, the mouse is adorable, but even without it it's proper CAS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maaike even though I struggled with my bubbles I like trying "new things" and that is why sketches are so good as we have to think outside the box

      Delete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen