3 May 2022

Hey Birthday Chick is shaking!




This week Just Add Ink's challenge is to use a sketch and the sketch layout is one I actually do quite often when making cards. I'm also going to enter at The Paper Players as their challenge is to use a bird or a bee on a card.



 I decided to make a shaker card when I found some cut up squares of quite thick acetate when I was trying to tidy up a "bits and bobs drawer", I think looking at the thickness of them it might have been the original acetate I bought from Stamp Zone before I discovered SU! in the mid 2000s but they still do the job and a quick spritz with some isopropanol made it nice and shiny again.

I used to love making shaker cards awhile ago, so much so I bought a Fuse so I could make my own plastic pouches but I made this shaker card the traditional way with acetate and foam tape. I have learnt a cool tip lately which I didn't know about originally which is to use your embossing buddy to "chalk up" the inner edge of the foam tape to take away the stickiness, so your sequins don't stick to the foam.


Supply List (Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Hey Birthday Chick (and matching dies), Whiskey Business (saying) 
Ink: Memento Black, Versamark, Pumpkin Pie, Poppy Parade, Daffodil Delight
Paper: So Saffron, Pumpkin Pie, Basic Black
Other: thin foam strips, Wink of Stella, embossing buddy (retired), dimensionals

Non-SU! supplies:
Alabaster White embossing powder (Brutus Monroe), Scallop Circle dies (Pretty Pink Posh), various sequins, acetate, red tape, X-Press It blending card stock
Copics: Y11, Y35, Y38, YR12, YR16, R32, R35, R46, W0, W1, W3, W5

Well I really like my card and its fun to shake but the front panel is too clean (which is unlike me to say as I really like CAS and white space) and if I have enough energy I'm going to have a go either using an embossing folder or a stencil on a second try.

Updated version created the day after:
I've used SU! All  Wired Up Background stamp on the So Saffron mat with So Saffron ink, I've covered the balloon in Nuvo Crystal Glaze and it so shiny in real life. I've also made the shaker panel a "mat" and I feel the Pumpkin Pie makes it all pop better. I've also tried some different Copic combos on my colouring:

Bird body:  YR24, YR27 and E19
Balloon: Y11, Y35, Y38, YR12 and YR16 - this colour combo is one of Kit and Clowder's weekly colour combo called Amber. Alyce Keeton gives us a new combo to try every week. These are a great resource and FREE to all not just those of us who are taking our monthly colouring classes. you can see more combos HERE.




For interest here's some old blog posts from me doing the "JAI sketch" in 2020 (click HERE) and in 2016 (click HERE and HERE), the final  one is one of my favourite cards of all time my Christmas elf card in 2016 (click HERE). Well I know there will be more posts but these are 4 that I instantly thought of when I saw the sketch layout. So hope you can join in this week too but if you can't make sure you have a go at the sketch it's a goodie one to use.

Happy stamping
✿ Karen ✿

7 comments:

  1. What a fun take on the sketch, Karen. I love that your shaker has both physical & printed-stamped elements to keep something showing fully in the circle. Also great too on the isopropyl on window sheets. Have to remember that one. Thanks for playing along with our Just Add Ink sketch challenge.
    Di :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love shaker cards! Your chook adds even more fun, that really makes you smile. Chantell Just Add Ink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love an interactive card and this is super cute Karen! Fun take on this weeks Just Add Ink sketch challenge, thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what fun! i love that you created a shaker card and it's perfect with that fun little chicken with her balloon. So glad you joined us at the Paper Players this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love shaker cards and yours is fab with that hilarious chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable, Karen! Shaker cards are so much fun. With her balloon tied to her tail, this little hen definitely looks ready to party. Thank you for sharing with The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shaker cards are fun anytime and yours is super cute, Karen! I love the stamped confetti behind the actual sprinkles and the happy colors! A great design! I'm so glad that you joined us this week at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen