30 September 2023

Bright and Colourful Birthday cards with Taylor

Ohh its that crazy time of the year when all my virtual events happen, this weekend is what I call my big box event with Scrapbook and Cards Today and they call Crop and Create Delivered (Fall 2023).

My friend Sarah and I tried so hard at the Spring event 6 months ago to do it all and it was too stressful. So we thought this time we're going slow and enjoying the process and it's 6 months until the next one if we decide to do it. This event they have also given each teacher a 2-hour teaching slot to teach their 3 cards and an hour break, so a much more relaxed pace so it maybe possible to do them all. 

Unfortunately I can never do first day as it's babysitting day and now my crafting buddy Sarah is actually quite sick so I maybe going very slow.

There are at least 16 classes plus at least 3 mini classes showing new products plus the finale always with Jennifer McGuire which is card after card ideas she creates mixing up all the products we received from the sponsors / companies involved with the event. So expect me to blogging about the event for awhile.

I'm starting off with the Taylored Expressions cards taught by Taylor herself. The TE class is normally one of my highlights but I was aghast when I saw the colour palate she was teaching. I really like the TE inks and have been shouting myself the inkpads she uses each event to extend my range but this time I worked with what I had and tweaked the colours and used bright colours but not TOO BRIGHT.

We received in our kit from TE the Cake Walk 4-piece stencil, matching dies and coordinating stamp set; at the end of the 4-stage stenciling we had 4 images to work with. As 2 of the images were cake stands we had 3 images after our stenciling to make 3 different cards. She also gave everyone one of her fab embossing buddy tools, which I actually already owned and loved.




I'll share the sneak peek we were provided with which made me grimace. I did not like Cookie Monster, Blue Raspberry and Dragonfruit as a combo.

I decided I would swap the 2 blues for 2 pinks; one light and one bright but not in your face dark pink. Plus I thought we still needed a blue so I was trying to work out which blue was the right tone to go with the inks so I ended up going for Tahitian Tide (SU!). 


I'm actually happy with my cards and they're bright and cheery plus colourful too. The card below we used ink to make a base for the cake stand plus cake to sit upon. The sentiment inside the cake layers  is a one piece sentiment which has been white embossed. My cake stand is to the left as I must have had a bit of blue ink on my finger after blending the base. The gem stickers are Honey Bees Love Letter  and they matched the honeysuckle ink and cardstock I have used IMO. I have to say I don't like how this sentiment stamps the exclamation point. I also have a faulty other sentiment in this set which is sort of cut so my whole stamp set may be faulty but I 'll fill in the form once I've tested all 16 sets to get it replaced.


For the card below we have scored a piece of coloured card stock at 1/4" increments to add a bit of interest plus some Blossom glitter drops on the stand (PFS).


Some simple ink-blending and then splattered with white ink/paint. It almost looks like a sky.


The inside had an interesting fold but I added my wee strip of Pink Lemonade card stock to the wrong edge but I had added a wee circle of Pink Lemonade as I didn't have a big enough stitched circle diecut so it all worked out.


Well in the end that was a nice easy introduction to what is to follow from the "big box".
✿ Karen ✿

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen