29 April 2024

I was a bit stumped with this colour combo

I have to admit the latest colour combo challenge at Just Add Ink had me a bit stumped: Coastal Cabana, Starry Sky and Berry Burst - these are all Stampin' Up! colours and I have in my stash the first two. I thought Dragonfruit (C9) looked pretty close to Berry Burst so that's what I used instead. Often when I stumped I will just watercolour something up using the reinkers and as I had recently received a hydrangea stamp I thought that would be a great flower to colour as hydrangeas often have a real range of shades.

I also wanted to play along with the latest Tic Tac Toe challenge using the first column (flowers, embossing, gems). I have dry embossed with an embossing folder plus white embossed the sentiment and added lots of gems.

Of course the flower I coloured doesn't have a die so I ended up fussy cutting it out and as it was watercoloured I used my 100 Copic black marker to try and blacken the edges and tidy the cut edges up a bit, this worked fine apart from where the marker went for a skid on the petal!!

I've also acquired from the SU! retirement sale the Dots & Spots coverplate die, I was so happy they reduced it finally to a "real price" as it retired. I wasn't prepared to pay $72 (kiwi dollars I'm talking about) for a coverplate die no matter how cute it is, when most companies charge half that price and I added a really old SU! embossing folder for some more dots (Perfect Polka Dots).



Supply List:
Stamps: Paint-A-Flower: Hydrangea (ALT)
Ink/re-inkers: Versafine Clair Nocturne, Versamark, Coastal Cabana (SU!), Starry Sky (SU!), Dragonfruit (C9)
Paper: Coastal Cabana (SU!), Starry Sky (SU!), Dragonfruit (C9), Neenah solar white #110lb, Watercolour (Fabriana Artistico cold pressed)
Other: Dots and Spots die (SU!), Perfect Polka Dots EF (SU!), white EP, no. 4 round paintbrush, Magic Potion Ombre glitter drops (PFS), 2mm foam squares (SP), Copic 100 black marker
Challenges: JAI #699, TTTC #246



I'm really happy how my card turned out - I don't make enough flower cards, so it's nice to tuck one away in my stash. Also, again those colour combos that stump me always look fab when KReated too, Thanks for popping in.

EDITED: 2/5/24: Really happy to be chosen as the JAI Winner and big thanks to them for pushing me outside my comfort zone. This was the kind comments from their DT:

Striking combination of dotted background and
beautifully soft hydrangeas

Beautiful hydrangeas are a lovely way to use
the challenge colours in Karen's fun design

Such a pretty use of the challenge colours.


✿Karen✿

8 comments:

  1. That is a challenging color combo Karen but you met it beautifully! great idea to watercolor when you don't have the right color ink. Very pretty card. Thanks for joining us at TicTacToe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your beautiful project doesn’t look like you were stumped, Karen. Sorry about choosing that combo. I did have a little what was I thinking when I started but it all turned out in the end.
    I love your idea to use hydrangeas and the sorry repetition works really well. Very pretty card.
    Warm wishes, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di I love it when the combos stumps me and then it all works out OK in the end.

      Delete
  3. Your card is lovely! The hydrangea was the perfect choice of bloom to go with the challenge colours. Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous colour combo and you have taken full advantage for your dotty themed design Karen! Love the shading on the hydrangeas which tie in the colours of your background so well. Thank you for coming to play with us at Tic Tac Toe Challenge! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen