21 February 2023

First play with Lawn Fawn's Magic Iris

I see one of my favourite challenge sites Just Add Ink has an interesting challenge this week (a) to create a card with a "surprise" and now I go to blog about the card the next challenge will be (b) to link it as Mr Linky is playing up - now I have never ever seen that before and their DT work so hard I hope they can get it fixed.

Even the design of this card was a challenge, I watched the videos again how to use the dies and there's sausages, stabilisers and flux capacitors and multiple layers but wow it is an engineering feat and very clever and I think the designer of this die would have been top of the Star Fleet engineering squad. I had decided I wanted to use card stock for my layers with a stitched greenery background and then do some paper piercing to make my flowers but after 3 goes of various colour combos they all went into the bin.

And you know what was the easiest thing to do: just Copic colour up my floral wreath add-on as Kelly from Lawn Fawn suggested, it was so easy and you can customise it to work with whatever colour scheme you want. It literally took me less than 5 mins to colour once I got my Copics out. So I had a coloured floral wreath then I played with lots of  DSP in my stash and to be honest I returned to my Lawn Fawn DSP they actually are sized "just right" - i.e. not too big a stripe and don't overwhelm the image but are still colourful. I ended up using Flower Market on the front panel and wow have I used this pack a lot it's just about all gone and Spiffy Speckles on the "sausages" which create the iris.

Anyhow enough burbling here's the fab card which I just love. I know the next one I'll be able to whip up in a flash. 

Fully opened iris:

As you're pulling down on the lever:


How the recipient would receive the card with the iris closed:


And close up:


The Magic Iris die so you can see the sausages, flux capacitor etc ;)



Supply List (all Lawn Fawn unless stated otherwise):
Stamps: Circle Sayings (SSS)
Ink: Mango Melody (SU!)
Dies: Magic Iris, Magic Iris add-on, Magic Iris floral wreath add-on
Paper: Flower Market DSP, Spiffy Speckles DSP, Natural Neenah #110 (card base), naturals (SU! - retired - inner circle I thought white was too white), Neenah #80 for Copic colouring wreath
Copic colours used (darkest >> lightest): R22/20; Y38/35/32; YG17,25,21
Other: Mini glue dots, mini thick square foam squares (SP), sparkle glaze
Challenge: JAI #640


This was a fun challenge and there's lots of inspiration on the Just Add Ink blog, so go check them all out and if you have time, have a go too.
✿ Karen ✿

4 comments:

  1. Well done on such a fun way to add a surprise. Your colouring is beautiful. Thank you so much for so patient and understanding while our Linky was down. Fiona, Just Add Ink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fiona I was glad the challenge made me play with my dies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That is such a fabulous card Karen. What a lovely surprise to have on a card. Thanks for joining in with us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen