3 August 2023

The last cards from the Art Retreat with Jenn for real (this time)

I started blogging the cards using the Art Retreat exclusive stamp the other day (HERE) and realised the post was going to be too long plus I was hungry so hopefully this will wrap up this Virtual event today which is sad as I have absolutely loved doing this event even if I poddle along at my own pace and I can't wait for the next one in June 2024. 

I absolutely loved making lots of backgrounds and learning new techniques, I loved how bright and colourful the cards have been, so much teal and pink!! I also loved that all the prep was done for me so I could just be KReative and have fun. I still feel it is worthwhile to sign up and get the resources as most of the stamps will still be available to purchase or you can use something similar in your stash, unfortunately you can't use the Stamper's Anonymous exclusive stamp set as that was provided for the original class registrants. 

Today's TWO cards  both use the butterflies and actually use the same techniques to produce quite different cards.


For this card the 3 butterflies have been arranged in my MISTI and then lightly misted a couple of times, we have taken our Distress watercolor pencil which has been dipped in a pot of water directly to the stamp, starting from the lightest colour (Salvaged Patina > Picked Raspberry > Villainous Potion), misted lightly again and stamped to the smooth side of a piece of Distress Watercolor paper. I made 3 printings from the colouring, misting between each stamp. The images above were the second (RHS) and third impressions. I have stamped one of the sentiments in the set with Versafine black ink directly to the panel after it has been trimmed. Jenn's idea was to add to a black base (RHS) but I also added one of my panels to a Bermuda Bay (SU!) base and I've added some glimmer drops from my stash to both. Both panels have some Distress Rock Candy (RNG) added using Matte Collage Medium (RNG) to white spaces on the butterflies wings.


The next card used the same technique with different Distress Watercolor Pencils ( Salvaged Patina > Peeled Paint > Villainous Potion). The image was then dried and the panel was put back into the MISTI and Ground Espresso distress ink was added to the clean stamps and stamped over the top of  our watercoloured images. We lightly added a shadow around each butterfly by painting with just water around the butterfly but not touching it and then applying a light wash of Speckled Egg from a wet Distress pencil and then using just water on the brush pulling the shadow out to fade it.

When dry we used the "script" stamp which had been lightly misted and then coloured with a wet Walnut Stain pencil and stamping off the block in the spaces, using our fingers to press down in places. Drying again and then splattering with the Salvaged Patina pencil.


I've distressed the edges of my watercolor paper and I was wondering why I didn't have a chocolate cardstock piece to mount on but I see I was supposed to use a sponge and Ground Espresso ink to colour in the base card at the edges but I mounted up on Soft Suede (SU!) cardstock and made a few sentiments which are white heat embossed. I also used my FIRST stamping from the first technique as even though I like CAS the first card wasn't floating my boat but I really, really like this card and technique. Distress Rock Candy has just been added this time to the butterflies body. I'm not sure you can see it in the photos but looks great in real life.


And the 3 impressions with the first colour combo:


Well that is the end of blogging about the retreat with Jenn Shurkus aka Creative Chick, it was a blast and I love taking classes with her, she's a fab teacher and she also has on her website classes using a lot of Lawn Fawn stamps but also a lot of Distress techniques. I've done the Distress Watercolor Pencil one before which was fab, you can see my efforts HERE.

I have to also admit this is only the second time I have totally completed a virtual retreat and I have revisited some of the cards already and remade them, so I think that is testament how much I enjoyed the event.
✿ Karen ✿

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen