6 August 2023

Time to get inky!!

It's been while since I've had to have a bucket to throw in my stencils etc. whilst playing with mixed media but looks like doing the "Mixed Media with Hero Arts : Stamp-Along" I surely need my bucket of water again and my black apron.

This was a virtual event I saw and thought that sounds interesting and it was only $30 USD for the six projects being taught. Then I saw Hero Arts had also released quite a few products that were definitely really versatile for mixed media etc and we were working with them so it didn't take too much to twist my arm to sign up plus buy the corresponding bundle. One of the cool things is that are pages we are creating are going to be added to a "handmade" accordion book/journal but I think this will be a great recollection of the inky fun that awaits. The first project was taught by Lydia Fiedler and was titled Create.


I originally did my homework on my Bristol Strathmore smooth card stock as I didn't own any hot-pressed watercolour paper but I do now (Lavinia) and wow it is smooth. Above is Lavinia on the left which will go in my accordion journal and the Bristol on the right. I think the Bristol Smooth I was supposed to use was Bristol Smooth Watercolor NOT Bristol Smooth Strathmore.

Our homework was to taco stamp the 2 script stamps from the Mixed Textures stamp set (HA) or another scripty stamp onto a slightly smaller piece than a 5" x 7". This is what my homework looked like before it and my fingers got inky.


I really like this set is truly is versatile I feel I have a few sets I can declutter as this set has it all, I especially like the look of the 2 brushstroke stamps. 

So I have taco stamped using just my fingers to hold the stamp (which is folded like a taco) with Versafine black ink and then I have used a Tim Holtz stencil Faded Dots to randomly add some Hero Arts glitter paste through and allow to dry over night. Lydia used dry wall tape to add her glitter paste through. After this point all the products are Hero Arts but I'm sure you have similar products in your stash.


Once the panel was dry overnight or in my case 3 weeks later; the next step was to mist the back of our panel once. Then add drops of Liquid Ocean Blue watercolor and using our mister bottle directly to the ink; get it to run. Leaving some area dry for the drops of Liquid Terracotta watercolor. I have also spritzed with a toothbrush some Terracotta watercolour. Dry with a heat tool then I sprayed Blue/Gold Two-tone spray through a Stacked Circles stencil. Again dry with heat tool then I have added some dots of white pigment ink with HA Rough Dots (red background stamp) plus Gold Hero wax has been added lightly to some areas. One of the things in our kit was Flowers & Swirls Hero Transfers and I love them and their abstractedness, they also are a pop of black. Our last instruction was to die-cut out the word create, saving all the bits PLUS die-cut it out 3x from white card stock and stack it up.

What follows is me playing; I have distressed the edges and used a gold ink pad from my stash. I have lightly inked up the distressed edge as I felt that worked well with the gold Hero Wax. I also mounted on a 5" x 7" white card base for adding to my journal when I have coloured the ribbon on it.



I really like the word popped up like this even if I maybe a bit crooked in my die-cutting;) 

This is what I received in my Stamp Along Bundle I bought for the event. I also bought a few Liquid watercolors as they were not included and a couple of other two tone sprays which are not photographed.




The bundle looked so versatile and really a lot of product for the cost also the shipping costs were low in comparison to other kits I have ordered for events.  I would do more virtual kits but the shipping costs nearly doubles the cost, shipping with Hero Arts was approximately $25USD and I got it in a week. This is the the cheapest I have ever paid for a reasonable size box plus the speed of receiving it was surprising!!

Hero Arts has started a Facebook group for Mixed Media and they are promising weekly tutorials for FREE the first one is tonight at midnight. Click HERE if you would like to join in with the fun.

✿ Karen ✿

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen