5 October 2023

Faux Dip Dye

I watched a new technique to me watching Pinkfresh Studio's Craft Hour with Jeff Lindberg and Kristina Werner the other day which you can watch HERE. I like to play when I see something new so there is a chance I might recall how to do it. So I thought it would be a good technique to play along with AAA Birthday current monthly challenge which is to make a birthday card with your favourite colour. Yellow is definitely one of my fav colours and I love the Pinkfresh Studio yellow colour combos so thought let's have a go at faux dip dye.

I'll tell you now there are a lot of drying steps to do this technique, I had 9 layers in my panel also I don't think Ranger Distress Watercolour paper is quite heavy enough for this technique as so many layers are added to the bottom by the time you have finished as I had quite major buckling even though my panel was taped down to a hard board.

In essence you smoosh your ink pad to a palette (I used my wee WRMK glass magnetic board), add TWO brushfuls of water and paint to bottom. DRY. Wipe palette clean; smoosh same colour this time only add ONE brushful of water so it's a slightly darker wash, add this layer slightly below first layer and paint to bottom. DRY. Then it's just rinse and repeat above using darker shades as you go, first time you introduce the new shade it's the lighter wash with 2 brushfuls of water, then a new wash with 1 brushful of water. But definitely do check out the video I have linked, it's the second technique they are playing with so you can start watching around the 42 minute mark approximately.


My layers are:
  • Lemon Whip inkpad smoosh with 2 brushfuls of water
  • Lemon Whip inkpad smoosh with 1 brushful of water
  • Sunshine inkpad smoosh with 2 brushfuls of water
  • Sunshine inkpad  smoosh with 1 brushful of water
  • Sweet Mustard inkpad smoosh with 2 brushfuls of water
  • Sweet Mustard inkpad smoosh with 1 brushful of water
  • Marigold inkpad smoosh with 2 brushfuls of water
  • Marigold inkpad smoosh with 1 brushful of water
  • Marigold inkpad and Persimmon inkpad smoosh with 1 brushful of water
  • Persimmon inkpad smoosh with 1 brushful of water
Now Kristina and Jeff used a large no. 12 round brush, I used my biggest a  no. 8 brush that I got from doing an acrylic painting class but it had a big head so the "brushful" was quite big; obviously depending upon the brush you use you will have to adjust the amount of water you add to get changes in the colour.

Up close to see the layers; please note the flower is a transfer from Hero Arts which I love but is not available to purchase until most likely February 2024. I received it as part of a set from a virtual card class.


Supply List:
Stamps: Label Love (ALT)
Ink: Versafine Clair Nocturne
PFS Inks: Lemon Whip, Sunshine, Sweet Mustard, Marigold, Persimmon
Paper: Distress watercolour (RNG), black, Neenah #110 
Other: no. 8 paint brush, palette, heat tool (RNG), painter's tape and hardboard, Butterscotch glitter drops, stitched rectangle die (SSS) and the flower is a transfer from Hero Arts which is NOT released yet.
Challenges: AAA Birthday #54



Plenty of time to enter the challenge to show of your favourite colour plus there's a wee prize draw for entries received before October 14th but otherwise you have all month to enter their challenge.
✿ Karen ✿

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous watercolor panel Karen. Thank you so much for sharing your card on the AAA Birthday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue I really enjoyed this challenge

      Delete
  2. Love the shades of colors, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chandhini, this is definitely a technique worth revisiting

      Delete
  3. So beautiful.. As i stay in hot climate i just avoide using warm colours.. Love your card so much..
    Thank you so much for joining us at AAA birthday challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine I am lucky in New Zealand, on the most part temperate

      Delete
  4. Your card is beautiful Karen. I love the watercolour wash background and the black floral transfer looks fab against the bright colours. Thanks for sharing with us at AAA Birthday challenge. Hugs, Denise, DT x x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen