7 October 2023

Simple Sympathy Cards

Firstly happy world card making day (WMCD). I think it's the first Saturday in October and not an actual date. BUT IT IS TODAY, we just need the rest of the world to catch up to us ;)

I've been playing in the craft room but it's for an upcoming challenge so can't share yet with you all so thought I would blog about the "Simple Sympathy Class" with Libby Hickson for Hero Arts which I really loved. This was part of my #cropandcreatedelivered with SCT aka "my big box event". These are the four cards we created:


And this was our class kit of goodies (post class which is why my dot palette looks "used":


One of the things I was looking forward to in this class was that we were doing some simple watercolouring using a Daniel Smith Dot Dream palette. I've actually received a dot palette a few times before in kits but had no idea how to use it. In essence it is very small drops of Daniel Smith watercolour paint dried on a printed palette. It must be quite an effort to create them when a lot of dots and our one had a lot of dots but they are allow you to try DS watercolour paints which are incredibly EXPENSIVE $50 in NZD approximately a tube. I am very happy to say in my hands I do not need incredibly expensive watercolours. If I'm honest I could see no advantage over these than any other watercolour medium I already own. They were very bright but I don't think the expense is justified for the kind of dabbling I do with watercolouring but it was certainly fun to try them out under tuition.

We received as well as the dot palette With Sympathy stamps, dies and transfers coming in the Spring release for HA in February 2024. I loved this set and the transfers were amazing with white ones and black ones. My 2 pages of transfers has been cut up quite extensively and Libby suggested it was a good idea to use a small staple to keep the transfer sheet with the backing sheet.

The card below is just a wash of Mayan Yellow, Green Gold, Kingsman Green and Manganese Blue Hue paints from the palette. Dried and repeated. Dried again with a heat tool and then the transfer applied, it stuck so well to the watercolour paper. All the transfer images are in the stamp set but I love them and definitely going to buy more when released.


This card is multiple stamp images gold embossed onto black card stock (don't forget your embossing buddy powder tools) and then each image coloured in with the same shade. Some of the dots on the palette were iridescent or duotone so they are actually very sparkly in real life.The sentiment is also a transfer added to a white scrap.


This was the easiest card - it's all transfers. I love, love the white transfers on Kraft cardstock.



Last but not least the same image stamped and gold heat embossed and then Copic coloured up, die-cut out, popped up on foam and arranged in a wreath. The base card was supposed to be a very pale blue Hero Arts ink blended around the edge of the base card. I ended up doing a blend with Aqua Sky and Sea Glass which are light blue and light aqua inks from Concord and 9 as I felt that was a good match to the BG11 Copic used on some of the leaves.


I really loved this class and the images in the stamp set can be used on all sorts of cards. I've even used a black transfer on my recent play with faux dip dye play card.
✿ Karen ✿

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen