25 October 2023

Reverse masking

Fall in Love was the name of my Lawn Fawn class at the recent SCT virtual cardmaking event. I blogged the official cards yesterday and you can find the blog post HERE.

When we received our big box of goodies I thought at first looking at my pre-class prep aka homework; how weird I have pink (guava) gingham paper and not orange (fake tan) as per our class handout but I wasn't concerned as I had the Fruit Salad DSP where both coloured gingham papers came from so I just substituted the pink we received for the orange from my own stash. As it turned out everyone got the pink one as Lawn Fawn didn't have enough orange DSP to kit for 3400 attendees (though they do cut 12" x 12" DSP into 4; so they didn't have 850 sheets to share with us all).

 Jenn Shurkus aka Creative Chick the teacher and designer of the classes actually rose to the challenge and provided new cutting instructions so everyone had enough orange to do the Fall cards. Then she created a few cards using the pink DSP as well to share. 

Jenn's new cards as well as being pink and teal (her 2 favourite colours) also featured Mr. and Mrs. Harvest (she had added the boy scarecrow from Happy Harvest) but I was intrigued how she also added lots of patches to the 2 scarecrow outfits. and I couldn't work out how she did it with nothing outside the stamped image. What she actually did was a reverse mask, cutting out the stamped image on the line and then adding the "mask" to protect what is going to be die-cut. It looks so cool and I'll definitely going to make a few more, today I've just added 2 patches to an already stamped image I had left over plus used up the left over bits including the pink gingham DSP plus I also pulled out last years Lawn Fawn class stamp etc. from the SCT Fall 2022 event box. 






For this play I coloured my girl scarecrow slightly different using Copic pinks (RVs) and yellow browns (E19 + YRs). I'm really rapt how it all turned out. But these are such cute images it would be hard to not make "cute" and fall in love with Lawn Fawn but I might be slightly biased! From the 2022 kit I've used the scalloped rectangle die, sunflower stamps and the scripty hello die.


Well this was my first go at reverse masking or even thinking of the concept, Jenn Shurkus sure is a Creative Chick!


✿Karen✿ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen