12 March 2024

Reverse Blackout Technique

Gosh I'm seeing a lot of cards made with this technique or the blackout technique in my Instagram feed lately and I thought it would be fun to have a go at it for the latest challenge at The Paper Players (Green, Pink, Yellow, Black &White). I watched a video from Sandie McIver which explains the process really easily.

In a nutshell you need a 3D embossing folder, you spritz the A2 panel of white card with a light mist of water and run through your die-cutting machine in the embossing folder.

Now this is where the fun/magic happens. When dry working on the debossed side colour in your image with colour, you don't have to be too clean and can colour outside the lines as anything above gets blackened afterwards. I found for the folder I was using I needed my smallest blending tools (1/4") to get into all the recessed areas. When happy swipe over your black ink pad (I had to reink mine as it wasn't black enough). Try to go up and down so you don't get ink in the debossed areas. My folder may have had too much detail as it was really hard to not get black ink in all the areas. I would have liked it to be blacker but I didn't want to add more black ink to the coloured images but it really does pop in real life.

Here's a quick collage of the process. It's funny it looks like I am working on the raised areas but I am definitely shading in the debossed areas.


Supply List:
Stamps: Easy Expressions: Birthday (The Ton)
Ink: Sunflower (PFS), Sparkling Rose (PFS), Bubblegum (PFS), Grassy Knoll (PFS), Versafine Clair Nocturne
Paper: Neenah white, random pink glitter paper scrap
Other: Dogwood Blooms 3D embossing folder (HB), small blending brushes (PFS and WF), Twilight Ombre glitter drops (PFS), black dimensionals (SU!)
Challenge: PP#680



Well that was a lot of fun and I'll definitely repeat the technique especially if I find a bigger flower embossing folder to try it on.

Well my original idea when I saw the colours was to make a pretty spring bunch of flowers but I'm pretty happy with my more dramatic card. It's always fun to try out different and new ideas.

✿Karen✿

6 comments:

  1. This is really pretty and the technique takes it up a step! Thank you for playing along with The Paper Players challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, such a fun technique and perfect for our challenge this week. I love all of those wonderful florals. So glad you shared this with us at The Paper Players this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaydee, great colours and then the twist of adding black and white. Loving seeing all the pretty spring-like cards.

      Delete
  3. I've never come across this technique Karen - what a great effect! I love the pretty florals against the dramatic black background. Thanks for sharing with us over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne quite different than the old way of adding colour with your folder but very dramatic

      Delete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen