28 March 2024

Let's Get "Striped" with Time Out Challenges

I am absolutely thrilled and delighted to be the Guest Designer for Time Out Challenges latest challenge. It's a real fun one too; to use stripes on your project. You have 2 weeks to have a go and you too could be a future Guest Designer for a challenge (if you want too) AND Lawn fawn are generously sponsoring this challenge so you could also win a $25 Gift Card to the Lawn Fawn store, how cool is that!
I'm using a card idea that Jenn Shurkus, taught me/us at a 2023 Virtual Art Retreat. I've modified her idea and am using a stencil and distress inks to make my stripes. Jenn loves making fab backgrounds. In her original class we made very loose streaks of colour using Distress Watercolor Pencils as our background then placed our dark grey Copic coloured image on top. 

I've used a stencil to re-create her look and working with my smaller blending brushes to blend in the stripes. As I am actually using a slimline stencil I die cut out a perfect stitched rectangle with Lawn Fawn's largest Inside Out Stitched rectangle die. But oops I'd been a bit messy and there was gold embossing powder on my plates and I had gold speckles on the RHS after running through my Big Shot. As this was my second go at doing the panel, I went into how to fix-it mode. So spritzed with shimmer spray and water and blotted but felt it needed some black splatters. I used my Licorice spray bottle to add a few drops by unscrewing and just tapping lightly the tubing for the nozzle to make controlled wee drops/splatters. When I sprayed it was much too dark on my practice run. 

My first panel I added a glitter paste through the stencil after ink blending and it looked fab but had a few funny reactions around some of the stripe edges which is why I tried again to make my striped panel.



Supply List:
Stamps and dies: Humbled and Grateful (PFS)
Distress Inks (RNG): Worn Lipstick, Kitsch Flamingo, Dried Marigold, Squeezed Lemonade, Twisted Citron, Salvaged Patina, Shaded Lilac, Wilted Violet
Paper: Hammermill white, Neenah #110, Black
Other: Versafine Clair Nocturne ink, clear embossing powder, Frost shimmer spray (imagine), Licorice Izink dye spray, distress mista bottle, small blending brushes (TE) and foam strips, Inside Out Stitched rectangle die (LF), Horizontal stripes slimline stencil (PFS), Warm Gray Copics (W2,4,6,8)
Well this is a fun, fun challenge and there's no doubting that adding stripes is really effective so hope you can join in as well but definitely check out the Time Out Challenge blog to see the the inspiration on show.

I'll also enter my card at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge which is an anything goes challenge. I also see Just Us Girls would like us to use  a stencil so I'll also enter their current challenge.

Thanks for popping in.
✿Karen✿

20 comments:

  1. Fabulous stencilled stripes Karen! And gorgeous blooms! Thanks for being a fabulous guest this challenge! Hugs, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate for the fun challenge and thanks for having me!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous card, Kate. I love how you made the rainbow stripes, and combined it with the black and white. Congrats on your guest designer spot x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love the look of this card, Karen! So glad you persisted and the black splatters are perfect! Thank you for being our Guest Designer for the Stripes challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a fun challenge Greta , so happy to be with you all, thanks for having me play along side you.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful card Karen! How creative to havae the background in those pretty colors and the floral sprig muted. I love it! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls for our stenciling challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol its a fun technique all right :)

      Delete
  5. Karen... Love your beautiful stripes! Thank you so much for joining and sharing at Just Us Girls this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful Karen. I love the pretty stripe background you've created! A perfect backdrop for the lovely flower spray! Thanks so much for joining us at GD. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is absolutely fabulous, Karen.Love your blended rainbow of stripes and the way they fade on the sides. I love the floral image and that you colored it is greys. The splatters are just perfect too. Thanks so much for joining us as Guest Designer. Your work is always a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Stephanie, it was my pleasure

      Delete
  8. So pretty withthe rainbow stripes and the b&w flowers - Thanks for joining in at JUGS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rainbow stripes are always so eye catching, Karen, and the muted flowers only make it more so. Thanks for guest designing with us for our Striped challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobby so much I enjoyed it immensely

      Delete
  10. This is such a Gorgeous card, Karen. I really love the rainbow striped background and the way you have colored the flowers in the shade of grey. Love it. Thank you so much for being our at Guest for this challenge. Hugsxx Deepti

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen