18 June 2023

Summer lovin'

This is the name of Jenn Shurkus AKA Creative Chick's latest online class. I was lucky and I took the class actually LIVE this weekend. Lucky or mad as it kicked off at my 3am but it is so helpful being able to ask questions as the class is happening. Though saying that Jenn is really awesome at getting back to you quickly if you do have a question and you're just doing it as a virtual class.

Jenn was working with the following Lawn Fawn sets: Mermaid for You, Duh-Nuh, On the Beach, So Jelly and You are Sublime. I don't have all these sets so I ended up using Mermaid for You, On the Beach, Ocean Shell-fies and Seahorsin' Around. I also didn't have the exact cover plate die she used and used my dotted scallop one from PFS and I had a different sun die than she used but everything worked out great and the star of the show as always is the cute Copic coloured images. Jenn does an amazing job of teaching you how to colour up small cute images for cards EASILY and even though I maybe using different images than she was (Seas the Day card) I just coloured up the different image with the same colours to get a "rainbow".

I also learnt that I was using the wrong Ranger cardstock for my backgrounds as I was struggling to get a smooth blend. Using Distress Oxides it wouldn't matter what cardstock you are using they blend like butter on everything but Jenn wanted to use dye inks as cleaner and not milky (like the sea should be). I persevered with what I had prepped and blended on for the class as with all the elements on top you don't really notice. This was my first go using my inks which were comparable in colour to the Lawn Fawn inks Jenn was using and I hated it, it was on the smooth side of my Ranger Distress Watercolour paper.

In the break I flipped it over changed out the pink ink and tried again it was better but  still not loving it, but it is what I did end up using after blending in more pink and lilac ink.

Anyhow Jenn took one look at my pictures and said you're using the wrong cardstock it's not watercolour paper I use Ranger Heavy Cardstock. Scratching my head now and lo an behold I do have some in my stash (surprise, surprise) but never used (surprise, surprise). I haven't tried blending on it yet but it is really smooth to touch.


I should have been using the cardstock on the LHS but it is interesting how their properties are identical and to be honest I assumed (wrongly) they were the same thing because of that and thought it was just different packaging and I'd never got around to opening it to cut into 1/4s for projects/classes.

This is Jenn's class sneak peek and her colours are so vibrant (they always are) so looking forward to having a go on the right card for the bonus cards I have yet to make.

As always this was another great class and it is interesting to see what others in class have substituted for the class too but here's some close ups of the cards I KReated to finish of with, I hope you all have a fabulous day and the sun continues to shine for us in Aotearoa.






Thanks for popping in for some Summer lovin'.

✿ Karen ✿

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen